Market news

Daily finance news update

BUKA AKUN LIVE

Plan B hits GBP, risk sentiment still solid

December 09,2021 07:46:24

Overnight Headlines

*China factory inflation slows in November from 26-year high

*Asian markets follow Wall Street with gains, Nikkei slips

*Oil extends Omicron relief rally with demand concerns easing  

*Dollar slides after touching a one-week high, 10-year Treasury yields are back above 1.5%

USD closed 0.4% lower as better risk sentiment again saw high-yielding commodity currencies outperform. AUD is currently trading above September resistance at 0.7170 and NZD above the August low at 0.6805. GBP was soft and posted a new y-t-d low at 1.3160 as the UK went to “Plan B” with more Covid restrictions. EUR/GBP hit its highest in more than two months at 0.8599 as EUR/USD pushed above 1.13.

US equities closed higher as investors continued to hope the impact of the Omicron variant would not be as bad as initially thought. The Dow reversed higher near the end of the session as healthcare outperformed. The S&P500 now sits just 0.9% from its record. Asian markets are mixed this morning. European futures are mildly in the green while US futures are mixed.

Market Thoughts – Lockdown-lite rattles UK rate rise

GBP dipped to a new 2021 low against the dollar at one point yesterday as expectations that the Bank of England will raise interest rates next week waned. New “Plan B” restrictions have been put in place by the UK government to slow the spread of the emergent Omicron variant. These include a mandate to work from home and the use of a vaccine passport at large events.

Money markets now assign a near 40% chance of a 15bp rate move next Thursday. This is down from 60% before the news and a near 70% chance two weeks ago. Recent speak from BoE officials has also been more dovish with Deputy Governor Broadbent playing down the odds of a rate hike. The degree of infectiousness is worrying scientists and the new measures will hit the services and leisure sectors hard at their busiest time of year.

Chart of the Day – EUR/GBP breaks resistance

Bullish momentum has picked up sharply since EUR/GBP made new eight-month lows at 0.8380 just a few weeks ago. Prices consolidated around the previous October low at 0.84 before pushing higher back above the 50-day SMA.

After three strong days late last month, the pair then paused around the 100-day SMA at 0.85. Trendline resistance from the December high also halted more upside, as it had done in September and November. The bullish burst yesterday has taken us through that trendline and the 200-day SMA. Bulls will aim for a strong close to the week around 0.8594, before eyeing up the pivot high at 0.8658. Initial support is the 200-day SMA at 0.8555.

Jamie DuttaAnalyst / Trader

"With extensive experience as a full time trader and financial market commentator, I have worked as a trader in top tier investment banks and trading houses, including Morgan Stanley and GAIN Capital trading Forex, Index derivatives. and Bonds. I combine technical analysis with a deep fundamental knowledge to identify trade set-ups. My real life experience allows me to break down the complexities of financial jargon and trading. This means everyone can better understand the compelling forces of greed and fear which are realised every day in countless ways across markets."

Vantage does not represent or warrant that the material provided here is accurate, current, or complete, and therefore should not be relied upon as such. The information provided here, whether from a third party or not, is not to be considered as a recommendation; or an offer to buy or sell; or the solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any financial instruments; or to participate in any specific trading strategy. Any research provided does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and needs of any specific person who may receive it. We advise any readers of this content to seek their own advice. Without the approval of Vantage, reproduction or redistribution of this information is not permitted.

Pembukaan akun cepat & mudah

  • Daftar

    Pilih tipe akun dan kirimkan aplikasi Anda

  • Danai

    Danai akun Anda menggunakan metode pendanaan yang bervariasi

  • Trade

    Akses 400+ instrumen CFD di semua kelas aset melalui MT4/MT5

Hanya itu. Sangat mudah untuk membuka akun trading Forex dan CFD.
Selamat datang ke dunia trading!
BUKA AKUN LIVE